Anderson Personal Injury Lawyers Assisting Victims Who Have Been Injured By the Negligence of Others
Accidents happen in a moment, but a victim may feel the aftereffects for months, years, or even an entire lifetime. If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident that was caused by the negligent actions of another, you may be eligible to seek compensation for your losses through a personal injury claim. A personal injury lawyer from Beeman Heifner Benge P.A. can guide you through the often complex claims process. We always have your best interests in mind and are tireless in seeking justice for your damages. Contact our office today to set up your case evaluation to learn more about how we can help you: (765) 734-9091.
How Can an Accident Impact Your Life?
Whether you’ve suffered a fall in the grocery store, experienced an auto accident, or been affected by any other kind of personal injury, the effects can be far-reaching. The physical consequences alone can be life-altering. Some of the severe injuries commonly seen as a result of an accident include:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Back, head, and neck injuries
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Lacerations and contusions
- Severed or crushed limbs
The expenses for treating these injuries can rapidly snowball into a huge financial burden, especially if you’ve had to miss work or leave your job due to your injuries. Adding to this stress are the challenges of dealing with less-than-helpful or even outright hostile insurance adjusters. However, you do not have to face these challenges alone. The purpose of a personal injury attorney is to provide a strong ally in your fight for fair compensation for all your damages.
Are There Time Limits on Filing a Personal Injury Claim?
A statute of limitations is the state law that governs how long a victim has to bring legal proceedings against a defendant. Certain exceptional circumstances can sometimes prolong the filing period. Still, in most cases, if you attempt to bring a claim to the court after the window of time has elapsed, the court will immediately dismiss it. In Indiana, you have only two years from the date of the injury to file a lawsuit for most personal injury claims. The window becomes even shorter for cases where the defendant is a government entity, shrinking to only 180-270 days, depending on the specific entity involved. The most effective method to ensure that you meet the filing limits for your claim is to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
What Compensation Could You Recover in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
An accident can physically, economically, and emotionally harm an individual and their loved ones. If you are reeling from an accident, you need a personal injury attorney who will take the time to thoroughly understand your situation so they can calculate a proper valuation for your losses. The compensation victims may recover is split into three main categories:
- Economic damages: Awarded for the financial losses caused by your injury. This may include current and ongoing medical costs, lost wages, loss of future earning capacity, property replacement or repair, accessibility upgrades to your home and vehicles, and more.
- Non-economic damages: While people tend to think about the bills and other economic losses victims suffer, sometimes the non-economic damages can be even more harmful to a victim’s life. Mental anguish, pain and suffering, and scarring or disfigurement are all considered non-economic damages.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages may be assessed by the court if they find that the defendant’s negligent actions were malicious or distinctly egregious. The purpose of these damages is to dissuade people from committing the same actions, so others do not have to suffer in the same way.
What Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Do for You?
In negotiations with insurance companies, personal injury lawyers protect an injured party’s rights by intervening on their behalf. The lawyer provides recovering victims with a buffer between them and the insurance adjusters and others who may be reaching out with questions. At Beeman Heifner Benge P.A., we take pride in serving the needs of victims so that they can focus their energy on their recovery and family.
Our lawyers will build a robust case on your behalf, providing us leverage to negotiate a favorable settlement. Most claims can be settled without a trial, but when necessary, we will aggressively pursue legal proceedings to get our clients the compensation they deserve. Contact us at (765) 734-9091 to schedule your consultation.